01 September 2005

THE DAY IS FINALLY HERE: COLLEGE FOOTBALL KICKS OFF

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I do not have ESPN during college football season. I am a big fan of the "no cable in our home" way of life we have chosen...we are much less likely to waste time vegging in front of the television. However, watching college football from dawn on Saturday (College GameDay actually starts at 7am on the west coast) until I go to bed is definitely NOT a waste of my life, and I will miss it. Yes, there are still games on other stations...but the constant football & the best coverage in terms of analysis is only available through ESPN. I am sure I will survive & I will still be able to see my Tigers play. Below is an article from a great site, especially if your roots are in Auburn: www.theauburner.com

10 Rules for the Upcoming Season
by Mark, The Auburner


10. When Kenny Irons is hit hard on the field (which will be a rare occasion) … do NOT say “Oh my God! They killed Kenny!”

9. While in the student section, it is ok if you wish to sit down; but do not expect the people in front of you to do the same. It doesn’t matter what the score is.

8. Don’t get drunk before the game. The masterpiece of art that is Auburn Football must be enjoyed with a clear mind. If you can’t be the best at something, don’t even try to be. LSU fans will always be better drunks… get over it.

7. Don’t say ESPN sucks. While most of their analysts and hosts are morons, they provide more college football coverage than any other source. You should be VERY thankful.

6. If you’re going to make a sign or paint your body, it must be in complete support of Auburn… none of this “SportsCenter is Next” crap.

5. All clothing located on the upper half of your body is to be completely Auburn affiliated…Preferably, an orange t-shirt. Wearing a blue polo shirt with an orange undershirt won’t cut it… too preppy. As for the fraternity attire…UAB called, they want their blazers back. har har.

4. Cheers that involve cursing is classless, don’t join in. The “go to hell Alabama” cheer is acceptable however.

3. Know the fight song. Don’t get mad at me for not knowing the Alma Mater.

2. Auburn went 13-0 last year. Why? Because of their ingenious football skills and beastly athletic abilities… it wasn’t because of your “lucky hat” you wore to every game last year… don’t say it was.

1. During a football game, do NOT boo at anything Auburn. I don’t care if Brandon Cox throws 20 interceptions. I don’t care if Coach Tuberville puts in Tre Smith at Left Tackle. Every newspaper article about Jason Campbell going into the NFL mentioned how he was booed by the students after he threw an interception during the first game last year. Unfortunately, it was true.

WAR EAGLE! ! !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth! I'm sad that you won't have ESPN during football season...we'll just make sure we update you on everything! Hope things are going well for you!
~Jenn