19 October 2005

Uh yeah mom can you hold on a sec. ?

There are few things in life that you put your mom on hold for this one paid off:
Last night I talked to my mom for the first time in a month. No reason we hadn’t other then I let things get in the way of a simple phone call home. We chatted about important stuff for 20 min. or so then she asked about my Cardinals. (yes I realize I hold no stake other then emotional pride in the St. Louis Cardinals)

Mom: Your cardinals are doing pretty well
Me: Actually they are down 3games to 1 and only have 3 outs left to make up a 2 run deficit.
Mom: Oh really?
Me: yeah, I’m not real thrilled, make that 1 out left

Beth: I’ll let you know if it’s anything you want to watch.

I head back in the kitchen we chat a little more. A few minutes pass

Beth waves at me and motions for me to come into the living room

Me: *in a hopeful, but subdued tone*Ok hang on a second mom the greatest hitter in the game is up to bat with runners on 1st and 2nd (an exact quote) I might be a bit distracted.

Mom: *chuckles* who is that

Me: Albert Pujols, he’s also facing the games best closer.

Mom:ok

Pujols takes an ugly cut at a nasty slider (looking back on it I wonder if he didn’t do it to bait Brad Lidge).

Me: 2 strikes left

Next pitch Lidge hangs a slider over the plate, Pujols hits it square . . .

Me: *Yelling into the phone and jumping around the room* He did it! No way! He did it!

The ball lands literally over the bleachers (about 500 feet from home easy)

I’ve never felt a team go from utterly defeated to back in a series as quick as I did last night. Mom then handed the phone over to dad and I recounted to him the greatness of Albert Pujols and watched Izy close out the Ninth.

3-2 and headed back to St. Louis

No comments: