23 February 2008

Be Still

I get to teach this weekend and I'm pumped about it. I forget how much I enjoy the process of putting together a message and then getting to share it. Honestly the best part of it is that I always learn something as I'm teaching. Here is what I learned this week:

Psalm 46:10a - "Be still and know that I am God!"

Have you ever heard this verse and thought um ok sure. What does this mean?

In order to shed some light on this I want to look at another verse and see if it sheds some light on things:

This is right before the nation of Israel was about to cross the Red Sea. The Egyptians were literally chasing after the slaves that they had just let go. Israel was having doubts about weather they should have left at all. They came to the edge of this sea and thought this is it. End of the line now is the part of the movie where they come kill us. In short they were scared.

Exodus 14:13-14

13 Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. 14 The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."

What does “being still” mean?  It means that you trust God. We usually don't have a nation chasing after us. When God says be still and know that I am God. He is saying “STOP”. Trust me. Let me speak into your life. Let me show you how I want to move in your life.

When we stop and spend time with God we are saying. I trust you. I trust you to give me enough time in the day to get everything else done and spend time with you.

So what does that look like? I want to challenge you to make a choice. It's not a one time thing, but it can start that way. Choose today to say I'm going to make this relationship a priority in my life. The thing is you have to make the choice on a daily and weekly basis. I challenge  you to schedule time with God every day.  

1 comment:

Farah said...

Funny...don't know if this will make any sense to anyone else...but today I was praying about that...being still with Him. I asked Him if he'd ever heard that squeaky wheels get the grease, told Him quite frankly that He was not squeaky that He was perfect and awesome and that I wanted to have him as my number one urgent appointment every day...I just fail often. He gently and lovingly agreed and then said, "Farah, I'm supposed to be the grease!"