24 June 2005

Naming your children...

Maybe I am simply a bitter adult...I always hated that I was called Beth (not because I don't like Beth) when my name was Elizabeth. Everywhere I go, I have to correct people or accept them calling me by Elizabeth. Sure...in second grade you can tell the teacher you go by something other than your name listed, but you don't tell every substitute and every college prof and the person who swipes your debit card at Macy's and the doctor...it just gets out of control. Some places have those cute little places to put the name you actually go by, but then some of them don't even look at that. Anyway, because of all of this, it has made me want to name our children (ONE DAY) whatever I am going to call them. I do realize that sometimes this doesn't make the name sound as good. I mean Elizabeth Paige (Buchanan) Webb sounds much better than Beth...I admit it. But, is it really worth the hassle. My husband had the same problem and it never bothered him. I know I am a little more uptight about it, but I have known plenty of people who grew up hating the same problem. Our friends David and Farah have recently decided on the name of their second son who is due in November. In order to be consistent, they will also call him by a shortened version of his middle name. I love both names: Joshua Daxton called Dax is their first son & Andrew Colton called Cole is on his way. But, WHY??? It just drives me crazy...knowing what they are going to go through their entire lives. I know that Buck and I will have disagreements over naming our children because of this one idea but, I am sure we will eventually come up with some names! So, this is just something to think about when naming your children...

No comments: