19 January 2006

It begins slowly . . .

Campus Life at Mason Middle school was officially launched! We had about 40-50 students show up for free pizza and some crazy games after school. The school has been extremely co-operative and very helpful in getting the club started. The fact that we meet in the teachers lounge I think says it all!

I'm excited that we have the opportunity to be a part of students lives on their turf. I love the fact that we have been given the opportunity to share Christ in a place that is familiar to students and easy to get too even though I've been working with students for 10 years I still feel like I have no clue what I'm doing.

It's not that I don't know how to do the programming. It's just that when you sit in a meeting and try to get 45 Middle Schoolers to calm down for 90 seconds. It feels like your losing the battle. BUT! When you get to sit down and have pizza with 3 of them at a table and you begin to hear their stories (usually of their latest X-box game), your reminded of the slow process of building meaningful relationships.

I've always known that you reach students through meaningful relationships, but today I was reminded of it again. It's just a slow process that has to start somewhere. So today I met some students for the first time and hopefully began the slow process that will produce meaningful.

No comments: