16 May 2005

Today, I came across some quotations about opinions. I am married to someone who is such a good listener...sometimes it seems unfair that he should have to listen to me so much, when I am so good at NOT listening (maybe sometimes just not wanting to "hear"what he is saying) to his opinion. Anyway, I know that learning to listen is a vital part of marriage. And, I know even more that I need to learn to understand where he is coming from. I value the way he conducts his life and the way he leads us; now I need to learn to show that by listening.

"Every man should periodically be compelled to listen to opinions which are infuriating to him. To hear nothing but what is pleasing to one is to make a pillow of the mind."
- St. John Ervine

"Honest differences of views and honest debate are not disunity. They are the vital process of policy-making among free men."
- Herbert Hoover

"It is the man who does not want to express an opinion whose opinion I want."
- Abraham Lincoln

1 comment:

Buck Webb said...

I believe my wife undervalues her listening skills. I think they are quite good most of the time.